BPL8: Moving Stretch with Suzanne Wylde
EXCERPTS FROM THE SHOW
Suzanne Wylde developed the Moving Stretch system to be:
“A little more accessible for people with chronic pain and mobility issues, or who maybe aren’t the most flexible.”
Describing herself as “naturally inflexible” Suzanne’s approach could be even more interesting if you’re not so bendy yourself. It’s quite common, for example, to have an inflexible lower back.
In today’s epsiode, Suzanne explains the difference between passive stretching and resistance training.
We also broach the sensitive subject of back pain and emotions; in terms of both cause and effect.
From learning Tai Chi at sixteen, to 5 years studying traditional Chinese medicine in the UK and Bejing, working as the only paid acupuncurist in the NHS and experiencing first hand the benefits of resistance stretching. Suzanne talks about her remarkable journey to creating Moving Stretch and her mission to give chronic pain sufferers the power to help themselves.
- It’s been very rewarding working with people with chronic pain…getting them their freedom of movement back, and their confidence back.
- A lot of staying young and healthy is maintaining the quality of our tissue…this happens naturally if we keep moving in a variety of ways….unfortunately, because of social pressures, we move in very restricted ways.
On Working in a Pain Clinic
- The most empowered people who were always researching and helping themselves…they did the best.
- Loads and loads of people in chronic pain….you’re in a diminishing circle of what you can do.
- The people who did the best were the people who took intiative and could listen to their own bodies.
Moving Stretch: Work Your Fascia to Free Your Body
- I’m massively motivated to help my chronic pain clients especially….as you know, it’s hard to sleep…even just be yourself…it eclipses everything.
- This kind of stretching is more like a body work that you do to yourself.
- Resistance stretching is when you start at the beginning of your range of motion, then create tension in your muscles. So that’s the resistance part. Then you move through the resistance towards the end of the range of motion.
- Imagine you are waking up in the morning. …you yawn and stretch. You don’t just reach your arms out. Before you move your arms, you tense your muscles…your muscles contract a bit, then you lengthen them against that.
- We get really good results…one of the guys, a model in the book, was hit by a motorbike and had chronic pain which was very debilitating…he was a music teacher, he couldn’t actually lift a guitar. After 2 weeks of stretching for about 20 minutes every day he was able to pick up a guitar and start playing again. Within a month he was pain free.
Back Pain Self Care
- You have to find what’s right for you.
- I think there is a lack of self-care methods out there
- You want to invest in at least one method enough to give it a good go.
- You’ll never suffer from going to a doctor and getting a diagnosis….but you do have to be pro-active about having a self-care regime where you take responsibility for your body.
- Movements that are beneficial can still trigger a pain response.
- I feel that some people have no awareness of anything below their eyeballs…I’m a bit of thinker so I do it too!
- When you’re focused on something….you don’t know that you’re hunching your shoulders.
Inflexible Back – Can I Do This?
- I wanted to create a system that could be used by people who are not flexible.
- A lot of people look at stretching classes and Yoga classes and think “I can’t do that”.
- I’m naturally inflexible………I have an understanding of where people are coming from when they say “I can’t do that”.
Back Pain and Emotions
- You become protective of yourself when you are in chronic pain – fearful of movement. That’s the saddest part; people don’t trust their own bodies any more.
- Back pain can be very upsetting. Part of the thing that’s upsetting is losing freedom….and that fear of not being able to trust a movement.
- It’s knowing when to push through the pain and when not to. That’s tricky…..It’s about learning to listen to your body…the emotional side is huge as well obviously.
- It’s quite common that people will be…offended, or think that you don’t get it if you think it’s emotional because they think you mean it’s made up.
- There’s only one way to separate the body and the mind reliably and that’s by killing someone…I try not to do that with my clients!
- Sometimes…when the first time you’ve stiffened is in response to an emotion…the emotion is still locked in the fascia.
Designer of the Moving Stretch system and author of Moving Stretch: Work Your Fascia to Free Your Body Suzanne Wylde
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment below.
- Share this show using the social media sharing buttons.
To help out the show, click a link to iTunes, Stitcher or TuneIn:
- Leave an honest review.
Thanks to Suzanne for joining me this time.
Find more episodes of the Back Pain Liberation Podcast here
Back Pain at Work [Don’t Overlook This Common Cause]
Back pain at work. Don’t overlook major cause of work related back pain. Tips and tricks to reduce work stress | Podcast BPL34
BPL7: How Cathryn Jakobson Ramin Trains to Beat Back Pain
Cathryn Jakobson Ramin talks about core training myths and mistakes to avoid. Find out her approach to training a strong, functional core and beating back pain. Podcast links and show notes.
BPL11: Should I Go to the Doctor for Back Pain
Should I go to the doctor for back pain? Should we treat back pain as a medical problem, to be dealt with by medical professionals? Alternatively, should we try to tackle the problem ourselves? Avoid frustration by having a more concrete idea of what your doctor can actually do for you.
Iliacus Dysfunction and Pain [Book Giveaway]
How to handle Iliacus dysfunction the often overlooked cause of chronic pain conditions with Christine Koth [Book Giveaway] | BPL41 podcast show notes
BPL12: Live Pain-Free with Lee Albert
BPL3: Myofascial Release Exercises with Chris Kidawski
Find out how to end back pain forever, second half of the podcast interview with Chris Kidawski. In his new book he explains his myofascial release process.
BPL22: Can a Rib out of Place Cause Back Pain?
Can a rib out of place cause back pain? Listen to Vienna Dunham Schmidt explain release of tight muscles around the ribs. Podcast show notes.
Active Release Technique [ART]
Active Release Technique [ART] Tight hip flexor release for lower back pain. Root cause of piriformis syndrome. BPL28 with Heather Pearson
BPL16: Back Pain Trigger Points
Find out about back pain trigger points with Dr. Jeremy James. Win a copy of The Younger Next Year Back Book. Podcast show notes.
BPL13: Upper and Lower Cross Syndrome Explained with James Tang
Upper and lower cross syndrome – the two basic postural dysfunctions according to James Tang. Find out how to deal with recurring back pain. Podcast episode show notes.
Hips and Lower Back Pain
Learn techniques to release tight hips and ease lower back pain. Exercises to avoid with tight hip flexors | BPL43 Podcast show notes
Anxiety and Back Pain [Book Giveaway]
Anxiety and Back Pain. How to improve your emotional state. Gut health, chronic pain and depression – Heather Pearsons go-to recipe. Book Giveaway | BPL29
BPL9: Lack of Motivation to Exercise
Lack of Motivation to Exercise. Tips and tricks to get motivated and get training from the creator of Moving Stretch, Suzanne Wylde and host, Iain Barker. Also back pain prevention, mind-body connection and resistance stretching.
The Pain Cycle [Tension & Anxiety] | BPL39
The pain cycle. Chronic pain management tips. Understanding anxiety, tension, anger and fear. | Podcast BPL 39 with Amy Orr
Natural Vagus Nerve Stimulation
How to stimulate your vagus nerve naturally, Instant relaxation. With practice develop better vagal tone and greater resilience to stress and chronic pain | Podcast BPL32
How to live a more intentional life to break the cycle of chronic pain | Healing power of dogs | Relax tight back muscles audio download | Podcast BPL31
BPL:10 Listen to Your Body with Suzanne Wylde
Listen to your body. Keep an open mind and try things. Whatever works for you has got to be good. So says the founder of Moving Stretch, Suzanne Wylde in episode 10 of the Back Pain Liberation podcast. Find podcast links and show notes here.
Introvert vs Extrovert [Why Your Personality Type Matters]
Find out why your personality type is important. Introvert vs extrovert. Recognise and cope with demands of your social environment | Podcast episode BPL33
Tense Back? Here’s a Quick Way to Relax Tight Back Muscles | BPL24
Learn a simple way to relax your tight back muscles. Find out the 8 steps to the ‘Relaxation Response’ in the blog post or accompanying podcast episode.
Spine Surgery [Don’t Make a Terrible Mistake]
Learn why spine surgery is not appropriate for the vast majority of people with back pain and find out what you should be doing instead. | BPL36 Podcast show notes
BPL5: Back Pain from Sitting Too Much
Back pain from sitting too much. Listen to Karen Gabler on the iliopsoas,movement, core training, posture habits and the mind body connection
Muscle Knots with Christine Koth
Learn what muscle knots are & the best way to treat tight muscles. Pregnancy back pain and hypermobility. How to test for anterior pelvic tilt | BPL42
BPL2: End Back Pain Forever with Chris Kidawski
Find out how to end back pain forever in this podcast interview with Chris Kidawski. In his new book he explains his myofascial release process.
BPL6: Outwitting the Crooked Back Pain Industry
Find out how to outwit the crooked back pain industry and take control of your own well-being with Cathryn Jakobson Ramin.
Back Pain after a Car Accident [Podcast BPL26]
What to do about back pain after a car accident with respected therapist and author of Back Pain Free, Heather Pearson. [Podcast BPL26]
BPL20: When “Correcting” Posture Causes Pain
When “correcting” posture causes pain with Dr. Sebastian Gonzales. Win an audiobook copy of ‘I Will Beat Back Pain’. Podcast show notes.
BPL21: Ortho-Bionomy with Vienna Dunham Schmidt
Ortho-Bionomy explained by Vienna Dunham Schmidt•Tight Muscles and Chronic Pain•Ortho-Bionomy Therapy•Stress Mindfulness and Breathing•Podcast show notes
Healing Visualization [2 Easy Wins for your Inner Game]
Discover 2 visual hacks to motivate and inspire you in your journey out of chronic pain. With Heather Pearson, creator of the Pearson method
What to Do If Your Doctor Doesn’t Listen to You | BPL40
What to do if your doctor doesn’t listen to you.You don’t have to put up with a doctor who doesn’t listen or doesn’t believe what you say. Podcast BPL40
Causes of Chronic Back Pain [Book Giveaway]
Learn what causes chronic back pain and why it needs to be treated differently to acute pain conditions with Dr. David Hanscom| BPL37 Podcast show notes
Taming Chronic Pain with Amy Orr [Book Giveaway]
Find out how to tame chronic pain for a more enjoyable life with Amy Orr | Podcast BPL 38 [Book Giveaway]
BPL8: Moving Stretch with Suzanne Wylde
Moving Stretch creator Suzanne Wylde on back pain self care and stretching for less flexible people, A must-listen if you have an inflexible back. Can emotional stress cause back pain?
BPL17: What Does a Chiropractor Do?
What does a chiropractor do? Find out what a chiropractor can do for your back pain. Overcoming anxiety to beat back pain. Podcast show notes.
BPL1: Pilates for Back Pain with Gillian Greenwood
Find out about the benefits of Pilates for back pain in this podcast episode with Gillian Greenwood. Gillian has been teaching Pilates for 17 years
BPL15: Creep and Back Pain
Creep and back pain with Dr. Jeremy James. Sitting still for 20 minutes or longer puts your back at risk. Find out how to avoid creep. Podcast show notes.
BPL18: Lower Back Pain after Deadlifting
How to avoid lower back pain after deadlifting with Dr Sebastian Gonzales•Morning Back Pain•Tight Lower Back Muscles•Movement Is Medicine•Podcast show notes
Back Pain from Driving
Back pain from driving with Abby Beauchamp author of Reverse Button. Download free guide: How to Avoid Back Pain from Driving | Podcast BPL30
BPL14: How to Fix a Thrown out Back with Dr Jeremy James
How to Fix a Thrown out Back. Dr Jeremy James says it’s better to get moving straight away. Hear how to fix your thrown out back faster! Podcast show notes.
How to Handle Stress [for Back Pain Relief]
How to handle unavoidable stress and get out of chronic stress-related back pain. Mindset to break the chronic pain cycle has 3 essential characteristics.
BPL4: Sacroiliac Joint Release with Karen Gabler
According to Karen Gabler, most back pain is from a misaligned or stuck sacroiliac joint at the base of the spine. Find out about sacroiliac joint release.
BPL23: Back Pain and Horse Riding
BPL23: Back pain and horse riding. Listen to Dr. Jim Warson, author of The Rider’s Pain-Free Back on back strengthening exercises, the right horse + tack.
BPL19: MRI for Back Pain
MRI for Back Pain. Dr. Sebastian Gonzales explains the merits and limitations of MRI scans for back pain diagnosis. Podcast show notes.